Browse Items (1891 total)

  • Collection: Photographs

3308.jpg
Travelers at the west end of Clarence Covered Bridge.

3307.jpg
Unknown group of people at "Pleasant View Farm".

3306.jpg
Group of people at "Pleasant View Farm".

3305.jpg
Unidentified people in a farm scene.

3302.jpg
An unknown man and woman in a horse drawn carriage.

3301.jpg
The Sugar River, Brodhead Wisconsin.

3298.jpg
Dual photos. The one on the left is" Hanging Rock" on Searles Creek. Searles Creek runs from Sylvester Township into Decatur Township and empties into Decatur Lake and then the Sugar River. The one on the right is Pine Bluff taken from Clarnce Bridge…

3297.jpg
The inside structure of the Clarence Covered Bridge near Brodhead, Wisconsin.

3296.jpg
Photograph of the Clarence Covered Bridge. At the time of the photo the bridge was boarded closed after a heavy truck broke through the floor of the bridge.

3295.jpg
Photograph of a family gathering along the west side of the Sugar River near Brodhead, Wisconsin. Note the Clarence Covered Bridge in the background.

3293.jpg
Entrance gate to Bluff View Amusement Park. The park was along the Sugar River 2 miles southwest of Brodhead Wisconsin on Highway 11; highway 20 at the time of the photo. Notice the Clarence Covered Bridge in the right background.

3292.jpg
A man and two children in front of the Clarence Covered Bridge. See #3290 for details.

3291.jpg
Auto exiting the Clarence Covered Bridge. See #3290 for details.

3290.jpg
The Clarence Covered Bridge 2 miles southwest of Brodhead, Wisconsin. The bridge got its' name from a small village that was once a quarter mile to the east. The village was settled in 1841. Before a bridge was built Jacob TenEyck, the closest land…

3289.jpg
Post card of the Clarence Covered Bridge south of Brodhead, Wisconsin. It spanned the Sugar River on at that time Route 20. The road now is Hwy 11-81.

3288.jpg
A post card with a Brodhead, Wisconsin street scene.

3287.jpg
In the late 1940's and early 1950's the Brodhead Business Men sponsored a "farmers night". Shown is the 1948 invitation. The pencil marks are changes to be made for the 1950 invitation. The entertainment was well known national performers.. The…

3286.jpg
The Brodhead Historical Society celebrated it's 50th anniversary at a regular meeting in the summer of 2025. Since the society was founded in the 1970's attendees were encouraged to wear 70's attire. L-R Clinton Bailey, Polly Weeden, Ann Schwartz,…

3284.jpg
The Brodhead Historical Society celebrated it's 50th anniversary in the summer of 2025. The attendees were encouraged to dress in 1970s attire. The photo is of Ann Schwartz, society treasurer.

3283.jpg
The Brodhead Historical Society was founded in 1975. The society celebrated its' 50th anniversary at a regular monthly meeting in the summer of 2025. Those in attendance were encouraged to dress in 1970's attire. The photo is of society President,…

3081.jpg
Jaine Winters, President of the Brodhead Historical Society, at the Knight equipment reveal. In the background at left is Gene Engen and Jim Huffman at right. For more information see jpg #3078.

3080.jpg
Knight wagon box at the Knight equipment reveal. L-R Natalia Rebout, Doug Rebout. Mary Joan Rebout, and Christine Rebout. The Rebout Family Farms have loaned this piece of equipment to the museum. For more information see jpg #3078.

3079.jpg
Restored Knight wagon box on display. This piece of equipment is on loan from the Rebout Family Farms. For more information see jpg # 3078.

3078.jpg
The Brodhead Historical Society was able to acquire several pieces of original Knight farm equipment, and restore them for display in front of the Knight Edition of the museum. The restoration reveal was held on May 25, 2024. The equipment…

2933.jpg
The north side of the 900 block of Wast Exchange Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin. This photo shows the Royal Blue Grocery Store, and Lyons Drug Store. The Royal Blue was run by Robert Engle. The drug store was owned by Ray Lyons. The Royal Blue later…

2932.jpg
South Side Grocery Store, owned by Dean Peterson, at 1507 First Center Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building was where the Post Office parking lot is now located.

2931.jpg
Bellman's Grocery Store on the south side of the 800 block of East Exchange Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin. Building to the left was Al Koller's Barber Shop that later became Herbert Stuessy"s Insurance Office. Bellman's closed in 1960 and the…

2930.jpg
Wendlandt's Market, a grocery store at 929 West Exchange Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin.

2929.jpg
Curless Meat Market was located on the south side of the mid 800 block of Tenth Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building no longer exists and is the site of storage buildings.

2928.jpg
This building is located on the corner of East Second Avenue and Eleventh Street. It has a long history of being used as cold storage for cheese. Some of the names associated with the building were Zuercher Cheese Factory, Scheberele Cheese, and…

2927.jpg
The north side of the 800 block of East Exchange Street, Brodhead, Wisconsin. The address of the large building on the left is 1040 First Center Avenue. The first floor was and is a store, with the second floor being apartments. The building on the…

2926.jpg
Rex Bucklin and a horse drawn Stair Brothers Grocery delivery cart.

2923.jpg
Unknown man in a carriage on the Jac Voegli Farm. The carriage is being pulled by a Brown Swiss Cow. Note the calf nursing and the large Swiss Cowbell on the cow. Writing on the carriage says: The Famous Brown Swiss Cow. The writing at the bottom of…

2922.jpg
Mable Heath Timm, a rural school teacher. Shown here leaving home in Brodhead, Wisconsin, on her way to teach in Spring Grove.

2921.jpg
Unknown man and woman in a horse drawn carriage.

2920.jpg
Farm seen of a man on a horse drawn wagon.

2919.jpg
A farm seen with a man cutting hay with horse drawn mower.

2918.jpg
A farm barn. Location unknown.

2917.jpg
The photo depicts the Brodhead Stone Flour Mill, at 1201 Eleventh Street, Brodhead, Wisconsin. The mill existed from May 31, 1863 - 1929. The mill produced 100 barrels of flour per day. The photo shows a wall collapse that happened in August of…

2916.jpg
At far right of photo is the blacksmith shop. The sign reads "Hopkins and Son Horseshoing - Plow Work". It would have been at 1005 West Exchange Street, Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building at the end of the block was The Reed House. It later became…

2915.jpg
Willie Durner in his wood shop. He later made it into a hardware store. Note all the photographs on the back wall.

2914.jpg
The Fred Schultz Foundry in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The people in the photo from left: John Moar, Will Fulton, "hired man", Fred Schultz.

2913.jpg
Picture says "Grampa Dualittle"s Store". The people in the photo from left are: Mae Bowen, Sam Wager, and "Dad Dixon".

2912.jpg
Northcraft book and wallpaper store at 1018 First Center Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. In the 1960's the store was Everson Floor Coverings. The storefront is now State Farm Insurance.

2911.jpg
The delivery truck for The Music Shop in Brodhead, Wisconsin. Business owned by J.C. Berryman.

2910.jpg
The gift shop owned by Mrs. Arther Pierce in Brodhead, Wisconsin.

2909.jpg
Ray and Bessie Pinnow on their farm in Decatur Township, Brodhead, Wisconsin.

2908.jpg
Early grain combine at unknown location.

2907.jpg
Farmers in front of a Advance Rumely Steam Engine. There are names on the picture but can not be assigned to individuals.. The names are: Harry Mau, Sam Rease, Fred Ryner, Adolph Walters, Taylor's hired man, Ben Zuhlke, and Martin Mau.

2906.jpg
A threshing scene at an unknown location..

2905.jpg
A threshing crew at an unknown location. Men in picture from left: Unknown, Grant Combs, Fairman, Ed Pinnow, Unknown, Leu Dedrick, Unknown, father of Ema Muller, Unknown, Hooker, Unknown, Zimmerli, Fredie M. , Carl Kaltburner, and Geiger.

2904.jpg
Bartlet & Son Carriage & Wagon at 1012 West Third Avenue Brodhead, Wisconsin. The date on the building is 1869. The main building is still standing and has been restored. Part of the old lumber yard is at right.

2903.jpg
A parade on First Center Avenue looking North. A note on the photo says first appearance of the Brodhead Band for "officer of the day". The church at the center of the photo is the Baptist Church. It later became the Bethlehem Lutheran Church and…

2902.jpg
The Laube & Durner Blacksmith Shop at 801 East Exchange Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building on the left edge of the photo was a barn to keep horses until they were shod. The three men from left are Jack Mulirhill, John Laube, and Joe Laube.…

2901.jpg
Laube & Durner blacksmith shop. Joe Laube is at left with the anvil and Antone Durner is at right.

2900.jpg
The buildings on the East side of First Center Avenue in downtown Brodhead. Store at left center is Terry's Apparel, it is now State Farm Insurance. Store at center is Dedrick Hardware, at 1022 First Center Avenue, now Jeremy Pinnow & Associates.…

2899.jpg
Buildings on the southwest side of the square 918 - 928 West Exchange Street in downtown Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building at left center says R. C. Allen Business Machines Inc. which was a former livery stable and is now 608 The Factory at 922 West…

2896.jpg
This photo shows the west end of Exchange Street in downtown Brodhead, Wisconsin. At the left is the "Dorlyn Theater" owned by Stanley Swartz. It was named after his daughter. It was first on the north side of the square and later moved. When he sold…

2895.jpg
Bill Blackford's radio and TV repair business in his home at 502 East Exchange Street, Brodhead, Wisconsin. The photo shows a Zenith sign on the front porch. Also a sign that reads: Bendix Automatic Home Laundry.

2894.jpg
The building that housed Horne's Photography Studio in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The address is unknown. Horne's was a long time professional portrait photographer. Exact time of business is unknown, but most portraits taken in the first two decades of…

2893.jpg
The Brodhead Dry Cleaners was a small building on the northwest corner of West Exchange Street and West Second Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The business was operated by "Laz" Montgomery in the late 1950's and 1960's. The building is no longer…

Historic Brodhead Bell
This bell was presented by Edward H. Brodhead, chief engineer of the Milwaukee and Mississippi Railroad, to the Methodist Episcopal Church. He had promised to donate a bell to the first organized church to erect a church building in the new…

2891.jpg
Standard Oil Company delivery truck from Brodhead, Wisconsin. The name on the truck is H. B. Conway, which would be Harland Conway. It is not confirmed that the man on the truck is Harland.

2890.jpg
The Ties Oil Company of Brodhead Wisconsin building and trucks. The Ties and Woodling Oil Company was formed on November 1, 1921. The owners were Leo Ties, F. M. Ties, and John Woodling. In January 1930 Leo and F. M. Ties bought out John Woodling and…

2889.jpg
The first balk gasoline plant in Brodhead Wisconsin was built by the Ties family at the corner of 12th Street and West Third Avenue. The three men by the tank are L-R Andrew Douglas, F.M. "Roy" Ties, and Leo Ties. The man standing by the truck is…

2888.jpg
This photograph shows some of the West Exchange Street businesses. (North side of the square. First at right is Brager's Barber Shop run by "Fat" Brager. Next is Big A Auto Parts. Next is Bjork's Toggery owned by George Bjork. A sign can be seen for…

2886.jpg
This photograph was taken on the inside of the Chrysler garage in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The dealership was started seven years before as a Willys Overland dealership on Eleventh Street. In 1924 Chrysler took over Willys. This photo was taken at the…

2885.jpg
The interior of an early Ford dealership in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building is listed as being the "Riese Building". The man in the foreground is Art Searles who owned the dealership with Howard Plumb from 1919-1921. The young man in the rear is…

2884.jpg
This building is still standing at 705 East Exchange Street. It became the dealership's new location in 1949 and was used as such until the new GM Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac Garage was built on the south side of town in 1990. Truman Olin sold his half…

2883.jpg
This was the first Olin and Ayres Garage. The business was opened on September 12, 1934. In the fall of 1935 they became a Pontiac dealership. This building, called the Sennett Building, is no longer standing but was located at 1006 East Second…

2882.jpg
Olin and Ayres Garage was a Buick and Pontiac dealership. The dealership started as a Pontiac dealer and added Buick in 1953. It was located at 705 East Exchange Street. The building is still standing. The dealership was owned by Truman Olin and…

2881.jpg
The Fleet and Knezel Garage was located at 705 Eleventh Street in Brodhead Wisconsin. The building is still standing. The car in the photo is a new Overland. A 1920 price list for a new Overland car was $895 - $1475 depending on style. The two men in…

2880.jpg
Devoe Motors and garage was a Hudson dealership. It was located at 805 East Exchange Street. The building is still standing. In the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s it was used as an auto body shop called Brodhead Body and Fender. Run by Lee Buchanan and then…

2879.jpg
Timm's Garage and Ford dealership was located at 801 Tenth Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin. It was owned by brothers Bruce and John D. Timm for many years and they were the owners when the dealership closed in Brodhead. The building is no longer…

2878.jpg
The Standard Gas Station was on the corner of East Exchange Street and First Center Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The area now is part of the Bank of Brodhead. The Standard Station was run by Chuck Sors in the 1960s and 1970s.

2877.jpg
The Texaco Gas Station was located at 1201 First Center Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building was built for Harvey Jones by carpenters Peter and Eddie Burns and mason William Wall in 1924 - 1925. From 1930 - 1940 it was operated by Fred…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2