Browse Items (1923 total)

3198.jpg
The brick building on the left was Bellman's Grocery Store. It was located on the south side of the eight hundred block of East Exchange Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin. Bil and Tress Bellman started their business June 29, 1922. It was located…

3086.jpg
Vintage Knight Unloader Box on loan to the Brodhead, Wisconsin Historical Society. The box was completely restored by volunteers. To see more information on the Knight Equipment Reveal see # 3078.

3085.jpg
Vintage Knight Unloader Box on loan to the Brodhead, Wisconsin Depot Museum. The restoration of one of the first of it's kind was completed under the leadership of Jim Huffman, pictured here. For more information on the Knight Equipment Reveal see #…

3084.jpg
Vintage Knight nitrogen applicator that was refurbished for the Depot Museum. For more information on the Knight Equipment reveal see # 3078.

3083.jpg
A Knight wagon box converted into a people hauler. This photo was taken at the Knight Equipment Reveal held by the Brodhead Historical Society. At left is Goerge Crooks. Doug Rebout is in the red jacket. Girl in the white sweater is Natalia Rebout.…

3082.jpg
The restored Knight Manure Spreader on the day of the Knight Reveal. Pictured is Brodhead Historical Society President, Janie Winters. For more information see Knight Equipment Reveal #3078.

2976.jpg
The building at left is the Young House at 904 West Exchange Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building on the right is The Manager Opera House at 912 West Exchange Street. Both buildings were constructed in 1868. The Young House became The Shorb…

3103.jpg
The Prien one room rural school located at N 3648 Prien Road northeast of Monroe, Wisconsin. The building still stands and is located in the Town of Sylvester.

3102.jpg
The Prien one room rural school at N 3648 Prien Road. The building still stands northeast of Monroe, Wisconsin in the Town of Sylvester.

3101.jpg
Board of Education members at the ground-breaking for the new Brodhead, Wisconsin High School. L-R Kendall Schilittler, Carol Kloepping - Board Clerk, Jo Pinnow, Doug Pinnow - Board Vice President, James Burchell, Dennis Schwartz - Board President,…

3100.jpg
The old Jordan Prairie Cheese Factory on the corner of County FF and Hein Road. The building is now a home and is in the Town of Decatur, northwest of Brodhead, Wisconsin.

3099.jpg
The old Jordan Prairie Cheese Factory in the Town of Decatur, on the corner of County FF and Hein Road. The building is now a home and is northwest of Brodhead, Wisconsin.

3098.jpg
The old Dawson Cheese Factory on the corner of County SS and Prairie Road west of Brodhead, Wisconsin, in the town of Decatur. The original factory was destroyed by fire in August of 1907. It is not known when the factory closed, but the property was…

3097.jpg
The old Pinnow Cheese Factory at the corner of Pinnow Road and County OK, west of Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building has now been converted into a home.

3096.jpg
The old Krause Cheese Factory at N 4247 Park Road in the Town of Decatur. The building is now a home and is northwest of Brodhead, Wisconsin.

3095.jpg
The old Keen Cheese Factory at W 2435 Greenbush Road in the Town of Decatur. The building is now a home and is west of Brodhead, Wisconsin.

3091.jpg
The Brodhead Hardware Company - later Pierce Hardware at 910 - 912 West Exchange Street in Brodhead Wisconsin. J. B. Pierce started in the hardware business in Monticello, Wisconsin on August 10, 1891, with his brother-in-law. In January of 1902 he…

3088.jpg
Carma Guelson as a baby in her cradle. The cradle was made by her Grandfather, Guel Guelson.

3087.jpg
The Guel Guelson Family in front of their home at 1208 East 4th Avenue, Brodhead, Wisconsin. Seated Guel Guelson and his wife Gertrude. Standing L-R Charles, Knute, Carrie, and Ole.

3081.jpg
Jaine Winters, President of the Brodhead Historical Society, at the Knight equipment reveal. In the background at left is Gene Engen and Jim Huffman at right. For more information see jpg #3078.

3080.jpg
Knight wagon box at the Knight equipment reveal. L-R Natalia Rebout, Doug Rebout. Mary Joan Rebout, and Christine Rebout. The Rebout Family Farms have loaned this piece of equipment to the museum. For more information see jpg #3078.

3079.jpg
Restored Knight wagon box on display. This piece of equipment is on loan from the Rebout Family Farms. For more information see jpg # 3078.

3078.jpg
The Brodhead Historical Society was able to acquire several pieces of original Knight farm equipment, and restore them for display in front of the Knight Edition of the museum. The restoration reveal was held on May 25, 2024. The equipment…

2975.jpg
The Shorb Hotel at 904 West Exchange Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The front half of this building was originally The Young House built in1868. George Fields acquired 695 acres in a land grant from the United States government in 1843, during the…

2974.jpg
The Young House at left and Gumber's Hall on the right. Both buildings were built in 1868. They are at 904 and 912 West Exchange Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin.

2973.jpg
An early photo of the A & W Root Beer Stand in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building was built in 1954 by Al Rasmussen. He owned the business and he had several managers in the early years. A fire destroyed the building in August of 1958. It was rebuilt…

2972.jpg
Larry Marty, owner of the Uncle Larry's - Red Dot Potato Chip factory in Brodhead, Wisconsin. Universal Foods closed it's cheese factory and gave the building to the City of Brodhead. The factory was located at the corner of 11th Street and West 5th…

2971.jpg
Horse drawn Newcomer Funeral Home Hearse. The photo is believed to be an entry in the 1956 centennial parade. Dwight Newcomer, owner operator, of Newcomer Funeral Home in Brodhead, Wisconsin is the man on the left. Bob Clark is on the right.

2970.jpg
Everson Funeral Home at 808 First Center Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The house was built in 1872 for Charles Thompson a lumberman. It was sold to L. W. Terry and then purchased by Tallie E. Everson in 1931. Mr. Everson opened his undertaking…

2969.jpg
On Friday night February 8, 1907 a fire destroyed the southeast half of the 1000 block of downtown Brodhead, Wisconsin. The fire started when a leaking gasoline stove was lite and an explosion occurred. It started in the T. Hellerud Saloon.…

2968.jpg
Inside the store that was John A. Niesman Furniture, Harness, and Undertaking. The store was located at approximately 1028 First Center Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. In the early 1900's a fire destroyed half of the east side of downtown Brodhead…

2967.jpg
Ed and Esther Lyons in later life. Ed was a brother of Ray Lyons and a partner in the Lyons Drug Store in Brodhead, Wisconsin. Esther was a teacher in the Brodhead School District. They lived at 603 West Third Avenue in Brodhead.

2966.jpg
Ed and Esther Lyons. Ed was a brother to Ray Lyons and a partner in Lyons Drug Store in Brodhead, Wisconsin. His wife Esther was a teacher in the Brodhead School District. They lived at 603 West Third Avenue, Brodhead.

2965.jpg
A group photo in front of the Reed House in Brodhead, Wisconsin. All persons are unknown. Refer to narrative of photo # 2962.

2964.jpg
The Reed House dining room. Refer to narrative for photo # 2962.

2963.jpg
The Reed House in Brodhead, Wisconsin. Refer to narrative of photo # 2962.

2962.jpg
The Reed House / Beckwith House at 1006 - 1008 West Exchange Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin. L.S. Fisher settled on the Sugar River 1848, 12 years before Brodhead existed. He built "Fort Fisher", a three story building during the Civil War. It was…

2961.tiff
C.S. Pierce of Brodhead, Wisconsin. Owner of Pierce Farms and Pierce Music Company. He was the Mayor of Brodhead from 1950 - 1954. He was a county board supervisor and Chairman of the county board for 15 years. As a young man he was Vice Consul In…

2960.tiff
The man at the podium is C.S. Pierce, owner of Pierce Farms and Pierce Music Company of Brodhead, Wisconsin. Event is unknown.

2959.tiff
The man at the left is C.S. Pierce. Once known as "Mr. Brodhead." Owner of Pierce Farms, about 700 acres, which was huge in the 1960's. He and his wife, Marie, also owned and operated Pierce Music Company. He was an endless promoter of Brodhead…

2957.jpg
Inside the C.S. Pierce barn in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The barn no longer exists.

2956.jpg
The barn on the home farm of C.S. Pierce at N3371 West Third Avenue, Brodhead, Wisconsin. The barn has been removed. In the 1960's this was the largest dairy in the area in an era to "family farms". The farm at its height had over 100 milking cows…

2955.jpg
The barn on the C.S. Pierce farm at N3371 West Third Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The barn no longer exists. The area is now the sight of Maddrell Excavating, LLC.

2954.jpg
Barn on the C.S. Pierce farm at N3371 West Third Avenue Brodhead, Wisconsin. The barn no longer exists. The area is now the sight of Maddrell Excavating, LLC.

2953.jpg
The C.S. Pierce farm barn shortly before it was removed. The address is N3371 West Third Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. Now the sight of Maddrell Excavating LLC.

2952.jpg
The barn and out buildings of the C.S. Pierce farm at N3371 West Third Avenue, Brodhead, Wisconsin. The buildings no longer remain. This is now the sight of Maddrell Excavating LLC.

2951.jpg
The barn on the home farm of C.S.Pierce at N3371 West Third Avenue, Brodhead, Wisconsin. The barn is no longer there. In the 1960's this was the largest barn and dairy in the area. This was in the times of "family farms". The farm had over 100 …

2950.tiff
The dedication of The Brodhead Community Cabin at the School District of Brodhead Arboretum. The arboretum is located at the intersection of 25th Street and West 5th Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The cabin was the original Henry Clay Putnam Cabin…

2949.jpg
The remains of the old Murray Rural School. A one room school at the west intersection of Golf Course Road and County Road E at Brodhead, Wisconsin.

2948.tiff
The Board of Directors for the Brodhead Historical Society break ground for the new Knight Addition to the historical museum in Brodhead, Wisconsin. L-R Dolores Alsteen, Holly Everson, Vice President Dennis Schwartz, President Jaine Winters,…

2947.tiff
The Grand Opening of the new high school in Brodhead, Wisconsin. L - R Steve McNeal high school principal, Dennis Schwartz school board president, Doug Pinnow school board vice- president.

2945.tiff
Martin Beck & O.J. Barr Carriage & Wagon Works is to the left side of the photo. The building is at 914 - 918 West Exchange Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin.

2944.tiff
Inside the L. C. Bartlet Carriage Factory at 1012 West Third Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The man on the right is Perry Baldwin. At left is Roy Morgan who was born in 1887.

2943.tiff
The L.C. Bartlet Carriage Factory at 1012 West Third Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The man in the photo is not identified. The building has been kept in good repair and still exists. It was built in 1881 - 82 by M. Wall. L. C. Bartlett and Sons…

2942.jpg
Inside the old Brodhead Public Library upstairs at 1103 West Second Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building housing the library, known as the Putnam building, was donated to the City of Brodhead by Mayor and State Senator Putnam. It was with the…

2941.jpg
Inside the old Brodhead Public Library upstairs at 1103 West Second Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin.

2940.jpg
Inside the old Brodhead Public Library upstairs at 1103 West Second Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin.

2939.jpg
Inside of the old Brodhead Public Library upstairs at 1103 West Second Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin.

2938.jpg
Employees of Ties Oil Company in front of the business building at 1105 West Forth Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. L-R: Unknown, Eugene Schultz, Dick Kamps, Mrs. Dale Johnson, Mac Ties, Fred Ties.

2937.jpg
The Clinton House Hotel once stood at 1001 West Third Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. At some point the building was disassembled and taken to Iowa, put back together, and once again used as a hotel.

2936.jpg
The Nabor Inn was a restaurant at 904 East Sixth Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building was built as The Dairy Bar run by Heinie Kueck. He had a five seat counter and sold some groceries and had a meat counter. He sold the business to Jim Speth…

2935.jpg
This building was the oldest building in the City of Brodhead, Wisconsin. It was built by a Mr. Wade in 1856 as a hotel with 32 rooms. At one point it was called The American House. It was last used as Wish's Bar and Apartments. There was an…

2934.jpg
This was the oldest building in Brodhead Wisconsin. It was built in 1856 by a Mr. Wade as a hotel. It had 32 rooms. The building was last used as Wish's Bar and Apartments. The building is now torn down and replaced by storage buildings. The address…

2933.jpg
The north side of the 900 block of Wast Exchange Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin. This photo shows the Royal Blue Grocery Store, and Lyons Drug Store. The Royal Blue was run by Robert Engle. The drug store was owned by Ray Lyons. The Royal Blue later…

2932.jpg
South Side Grocery Store, owned by Dean Peterson, at 1507 First Center Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building was where the Post Office parking lot is now located.

2931.jpg
Bellman's Grocery Store on the south side of the 800 block of East Exchange Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin. Building to the left was Al Koller's Barber Shop that later became Herbert Stuessy"s Insurance Office. Bellman's closed in 1960 and the…

2930.jpg
Wendlandt's Market, a grocery store at 929 West Exchange Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin.

2929.jpg
Curless Meat Market was located on the south side of the mid 800 block of Tenth Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building no longer exists and is the site of storage buildings.

2928.jpg
This building is located on the corner of East Second Avenue and Eleventh Street. It has a long history of being used as cold storage for cheese. Some of the names associated with the building were Zuercher Cheese Factory, Scheberele Cheese, and…

2927.jpg
The north side of the 800 block of East Exchange Street, Brodhead, Wisconsin. The address of the large building on the left is 1040 First Center Avenue. The first floor was and is a store, with the second floor being apartments. The building on the…

2926.jpg
Rex Bucklin and a horse drawn Stair Brothers Grocery delivery cart.

2923.jpg
Unknown man in a carriage on the Jac Voegli Farm. The carriage is being pulled by a Brown Swiss Cow. Note the calf nursing and the large Swiss Cowbell on the cow. Writing on the carriage says: The Famous Brown Swiss Cow. The writing at the bottom of…

2922.jpg
Mable Heath Timm, a rural school teacher. Shown here leaving home in Brodhead, Wisconsin, on her way to teach in Spring Grove.

2921.jpg
Unknown man and woman in a horse drawn carriage.

2920.jpg
Farm seen of a man on a horse drawn wagon.

2919.jpg
A farm seen with a man cutting hay with horse drawn mower.

2918.jpg
A farm barn. Location unknown.

2917.jpg
The photo depicts the Brodhead Stone Flour Mill, at 1201 Eleventh Street, Brodhead, Wisconsin. The mill existed from May 31, 1863 - 1929. The mill produced 100 barrels of flour per day. The photo shows a wall collapse that happened in August of…

2916.jpg
At far right of photo is the blacksmith shop. The sign reads "Hopkins and Son Horseshoing - Plow Work". It would have been at 1005 West Exchange Street, Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building at the end of the block was The Reed House. It later became…

2915.jpg
Willie Durner in his wood shop. He later made it into a hardware store. Note all the photographs on the back wall.

2914.jpg
The Fred Schultz Foundry in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The people in the photo from left: John Moar, Will Fulton, "hired man", Fred Schultz.

2913.jpg
Picture says "Grampa Dualittle"s Store". The people in the photo from left are: Mae Bowen, Sam Wager, and "Dad Dixon".

2912.jpg
Northcraft book and wallpaper store at 1018 First Center Avenue in Brodhead, Wisconsin. In the 1960's the store was Everson Floor Coverings. The storefront is now State Farm Insurance.

2911.jpg
The delivery truck for The Music Shop in Brodhead, Wisconsin. Business owned by J.C. Berryman.

2910.jpg
The gift shop owned by Mrs. Arther Pierce in Brodhead, Wisconsin.

2909.jpg
Ray and Bessie Pinnow on their farm in Decatur Township, Brodhead, Wisconsin.

2908.jpg
Early grain combine at unknown location.

2907.jpg
Farmers in front of a Advance Rumely Steam Engine. There are names on the picture but can not be assigned to individuals.. The names are: Harry Mau, Sam Rease, Fred Ryner, Adolph Walters, Taylor's hired man, Ben Zuhlke, and Martin Mau.

2906.jpg
A threshing scene at an unknown location..

2905.jpg
A threshing crew at an unknown location. Men in picture from left: Unknown, Grant Combs, Fairman, Ed Pinnow, Unknown, Leu Dedrick, Unknown, father of Ema Muller, Unknown, Hooker, Unknown, Zimmerli, Fredie M. , Carl Kaltburner, and Geiger.

2904.jpg
Bartlet & Son Carriage & Wagon at 1012 West Third Avenue Brodhead, Wisconsin. The date on the building is 1869. The main building is still standing and has been restored. Part of the old lumber yard is at right.

2903.jpg
A parade on First Center Avenue looking North. A note on the photo says first appearance of the Brodhead Band for "officer of the day". The church at the center of the photo is the Baptist Church. It later became the Bethlehem Lutheran Church and…

2902.jpg
The Laube & Durner Blacksmith Shop at 801 East Exchange Street in Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building on the left edge of the photo was a barn to keep horses until they were shod. The three men from left are Jack Mulirhill, John Laube, and Joe Laube.…

2901.jpg
Laube & Durner blacksmith shop. Joe Laube is at left with the anvil and Antone Durner is at right.

2900.jpg
The buildings on the East side of First Center Avenue in downtown Brodhead. Store at left center is Terry's Apparel, it is now State Farm Insurance. Store at center is Dedrick Hardware, at 1022 First Center Avenue, now Jeremy Pinnow & Associates.…

2899.jpg
Buildings on the southwest side of the square 918 - 928 West Exchange Street in downtown Brodhead, Wisconsin. The building at left center says R. C. Allen Business Machines Inc. which was a former livery stable and is now 608 The Factory at 922 West…

J. N. Emminger Livery Feed & Sale Stable
J. N. Emminger Livery Stable at 922 West Exchange Street in downtown Brodhead, Wisconsin. Presently it is 608 The Factory.

Federated Store
The Federated Store at 1027 First Center Avenue in downtown Brodhead, Wisconsin. It was purchased by Loren and Bertha Sutherland around 1960 and became Sutherland Department store. In later years it became an antique store run by Patricia Braun and…

2896.jpg
This photo shows the west end of Exchange Street in downtown Brodhead, Wisconsin. At the left is the "Dorlyn Theater" owned by Stanley Swartz. It was named after his daughter. It was first on the north side of the square and later moved. When he sold…

2895.jpg
Bill Blackford's radio and TV repair business in his home at 502 East Exchange Street, Brodhead, Wisconsin. The photo shows a Zenith sign on the front porch. Also a sign that reads: Bendix Automatic Home Laundry.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2